Valley News Desk

Used Teargas To Neutralize Militants Inside Pampore Mosque: Police

Srinagar, June 19 (GNS): Six more militants were killed on Friday in two gunfights in Pulwama and Shopian district of South Kashmir.

Sources said two militants who had taken shelter inside a mosque were killed at Meej Pampore Pulwama district early morning.
“Two (militants) hiding in the mosque have also been neutralised by the operation party. With this, all three (militants) trapped at Meez Pampore are neutralized,” Director General of Police Dilbag Singh told GNS.

Inspector General of Police, Kashmir Range, Vijay Kumar said that there was no use of firing or IED as the joint team of police, army and CRPF exhibited a great degree of “professionalism.”

“Patience and professionalism worked. No use of firing and IED. Used tear smoke shells only. Both militates hiding inside mosque have been neutralized,” the IGP Kashmir said, adding, “Maintained sanctity of the mosque.”

A police spokesman said that before using tear smoke shells, both the militants were repeatedly appealed to surrender but they didn’t and were ultimately killed. “The locals of the area have applauded and thanked for the patient role of Police & SFs that ensured zero damage to the Mosque, besides maintaining its sanctity,” the spokesman said.

A joint team of Police, Army’s 50RR and CRPF had launched a joint-cordon-and-search operation on Thursday. As they moved towards the ‘target area’, the militants opened fire, which on retaliation triggering off a firefight. One militant was killed in the initial phase of the gunfight, officials said. “The operation was suspended due to darkness late last night,” they said, adding, “At the first light today, the operation was resumed.”

Meanwhile, four more militants were killed in a gunfight with government forces in Bandpaho area of Imam Sahib in Shopian district.
Official sources told GNS that a total of five militants were killed so far in the gunfight which also started on Thursday. One militant was killed on the first day of the gunfight and the “operation” was suspended last night due to the darkness. At first light today, they said, the operation was resumed by the joint team of Police, Army’s 44RR and CRPF.

With the fresh killings, 22 militants including three commanders have been killed in the south Kashmir district so far. The internet services have been suspended.

Addressing reporters here, IGP Kashmir appreciated the role of police, army and CRPF for conducting both operations professionally without any collateral damage and also thanked the general public of the areas for maintaining peace.

“Bodies of all the eight killed militants were retrieved from the encounter sites. The identification and affiliation of the killed militants is being ascertained.”

The bodies were sent to Baramulla for conducting medico-legal formalities including collection of their DNA followed by their last rites. (GNS)

Follow Us On
Valley News Desk